Well, I’m about 8 hours into The Reason You Buy A Playstation 3, and so far it does not disappoint. I wanted to write up some quick impressions for y’all – for the record I’ve played all three entries into the Metal Gear Solid franchise along with the Portable Ops game on the PSP.
Here are my initial thoughts on the game:
- The first 30 minutes of the game contain a LOT of “holy shit” moments
- It feels like a 50/50 split between gameplay and cutscenes so far – this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, the narrative is the strongest suit of the MGS franchise
- Sometimes I feel that this awesome movie is being interrupted by a game
- These cutscenes are the most amazing cinematic pieces ever in a video game – they probably surpass a good portion of Hollywood movies and TV shows too
- Are people who’ve never played an MGS game really going to enjoy this as much as I have so far?
- You can totally play this game like Call of Duty 4 and kill everything that moves with your M4 Carbine/P90 if you want to – ammo does not become a problem like it was in previous MGS games
- There are a LOT of items/weapons to use – it feels a little overwhelming at times
- I’m surprised at the variety of environments – I totally did not see these gorgeous locales coming
- Why can’t Snake climb up obstacles that look like any Joe Six Pack could surmount?
- Why aren’t there more hours in the day to play this game?
Was the limited edition of the game worth the $25 premium? I don’t know yet, as you can see from the blu-ray case, it has spoilers so I’m not touching it until I finish the game. My initial reaction is that of buyer’s remorse because $25 is a HUGE premium for a “limited edition.” However, if this blu-ray disc delivers it’ll be worth it due to the cinematic nature of the game. The audio soundtrack doesn’t hurt either – it’ll make driving on the freeway a little bit more epic.
(More pics of the unboxing after the jump)